Everyone asks me all the time, “Hey, what are you doing to lose so much weight!?” or “What’s your secret?” I always tell people the truth; I work out a few days a week and do some light cardio, but it’s mostly my diet that makes me lose all the weight. The obvious next question is; “What do you eat?” The answer is admittedly hard to believe, I tell them I eat lots of bacon, steak, eggs, sour cream, and burgers, oh and bbq chicken, can’t forget that one, I love bbq chicken! People usually laugh in disbelief and think I am full of shit.
Above is a nifty picture of how I comprehend a healthy diet to basically work. Keep this in mind when reading the rest of this post…
Most people who actually believe me don’t really understand why eating like that works and are afraid of the possible negative consequences a high fat and high protein diet will have on them, so they just don’t try it. If you’re one of them please check out my blog about the blood work I just had done and my test results: How My Keto Diet Affected My Liver…
Other people don’t think eating like that will help you lose weight, usually because they have been told by their peers their entire lives the wrong information. I was one of these people at one point; a cow, a sheep, a lemming…
A good friend of mine used to talk major shit about my so called “healthy diet” every time he saw me because he would watch me eat hamburgers from Carl’s Jr. with bacon and cheese, sauce and all! I did this almost every day, and sometimes twice a day. After he watched me lose around 70lbs MORE THAN ONCE doing similar things he has finally come to the conclusion that there must be some sort of method to my madness. There is in fact a method…
Below is a list of the top 10 things I stay away from when I am cutting weight:
- Potatoes (This includes potatoe chips
- Ice Cream (Except on an off day)
- Anything with flour as an ingredient.
- NO MORE than 40 grams of carbohydrates (Net) per day
- Sadly, Fruit. You can have it, just not too much, and when I say not too much I am talking about a few strawberries.
- ALL LIQUIDS other than; water, fat free milk (if I lifted weights that day just prior to consuming the milk), and coffee with no sugar just high fat/low carb creamer. If I am doing long duration cardiovascular activities (such as more than 30 minutes of jogging, I might drink about 4-8oz of Gatorade.
Outside of this no no list everything pretty much goes. There are some restrictions and rules I follow while on a weight cutting diet. Here are 5 important rules/restrictions:
- If you’re an average size woman you should be consuming no more than 1,200 calories a day to lose weight, and if you’re an average size man no more than 2,000 calories.
- Consume, at minimum, .75 grams of protein per lb of your desired body weight per day. So if I want to weigh 170 lbs, I need to consume approximately 127.5 grams of protein per day MINIMUM. Anything over 1.5 grams is pretty much overkill, but I try to take in about 1.5 grams a day because I lift a lot of weights and want to have enough protein to rebuild my muscles properly.
- Get lots of sleep, 6 hours a night minimum but ideally 8-9 hours.
- Drink 1 gallon of water a day.
- Exercise for at least 5 hours a week spanned over a minimum of 5 days.
Right now I am actually in the process of cutting weight myself and have decided to keep a food log in the form of photos on Flickr.com. I have it organized into “Sets” which are basically picture galleries and they are categorized by the date. I take a picture of everything I consume every day, even water, and even if it’s just 1 M&M! As long as I have an internet connection I upload pictures as I am eating so it’s in real time…!
If you’re looking for a guide on to lose weight and a visual comprehension of what someone consumes on a daily basis to cut 20lbs in 5 weeks, here it is!
It’s been 10 days since I started and I am already down 9.5 lbs!
The link below will open my Flickr Food Log…
Flickr Food Log
Good luck on any weight loss journey you undertake, and I hope this helps!